Gavin Bishop O.N.Z.M
Ngati Pukeko, Ngati Awa, Ngati Mahuta, Tainui
Gavin Bishop is a children’s writer of international, as well as local, reputation. As a picture book author and artist he has published 70 books that have been translated into twelve languages and won numerous awards. He has also written the libretti for two children’s ballets for the Royal New Zealand Ballet.
His distinctive ink and watercolour illustrations are a feature of stories that are sometimes traditional, sometimes original. Stories that have an obvious Canterbury setting include Mrs McGinty and the Bizzare Plant (Oxford University Press 1981), Bidibidi (OUP 1982) and The Horror of Hickory Bay (OUP 1984). Others such as Katarina (Random House 1990) and Hinepau (Scholastic 1994) relate to his bi-cultural heritage. The House that Jack Built (Scholastic 1999), which deftly combined traditional words with pictures illustrating the colonization of New Zealand, was Book of the Year in the 2000 New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards.
Gavin Bishop has been shortlisted for NZ book awards more times than any other author of any kind.
He is widely travelled and has been a guest author and speaker, through UNESCO, in Japan, China, Indonesia and the USA. He was a guest lecturer at the Rhode Island School of Design in 1996.
- Diploma in Fine Arts (Honours) in Painting – Canterbury University School of Fine Arts 1964 – 1967
- Secondary Teachers Diploma with Honours – Secondary Teachers’ College 1968
- Degree papers in Japanese and Art History - Canterbury University 1970, 1971, 1975
During his years of secondary school teaching he was involved in the following professional activities:
- Curriculum writing for the Department of Education
- Examining National School Certificate, University Entrance and Bursary Art Examinations
- Planning and running National Art Education Conferences
- Travelling as a Secondary Schools’ Art Adviser for the Southern Region, 1978.
- HOD Art Linwood College 1969 – 1989
- HOD Art Christ’s College 1989 – 1999
- Lecturer in Illustration and Drawing at the Rhode Island School of Design, USA 1996
- Lecturer at the School of Art and Design, Christchurch 1999 – 2001
- UNESCO - Asian Cultural Centre for UNESCO – guest lecturer and workshop facilitator in China 1992 and Indonesia 1997
- External Peer Assessor of Literature Funding Applications for Arts Council of NZ and Creative NZ 1988 – 2016
- NZ Book Council, Writers in Schools Scheme 1982 – visiting hundreds of schools over the last 30 years.
- Trust Member of The Press Christchurch Writers’ Festival 2000 – 2005
- Dan Davin Trust Young Writers’ Competition – judge and workshop facilitator 2008
- Talks, lectures, seminars, workshops and key-note speeches about Children’s Literature –presenting a large number of these nationally on a regular basis
- Society of Authors’ Mentor Programme – workshop facilitator.
- Featured speaker at the 2016 IBBY Congress, Auckland 2016